Monday, May 08, 2006

Bluebirds back at it

The image isn't crystal clear, but I was shooting through the bedroom window. Yes, that is a male Bluebird sitting on the railing of our deck trying to decide if he really wants those raisins and dried cranberries for dessert. He just finished the main course of 6 mealworms that I put there for him.

But the good news is that the Bluebird pair is back at it again after an unsuccessful first nest. As explained in an earlier post, I think a snake got the first batch of eggs and the Bluebirds gave up in frustration. But after starting over they built a new nest and now have 5 eggs in it. I had a cut off milk jug for a predator guard, but I just built a more substantial one out of sheet metal that should also keep out raccoons.

And just to show that there are raccoons in the yard, here is a picture of raccoon tracks from the front yard two days ago.

Keep your fingers crossed for the Bluebirds. It is a hard world out there

No comments: