Sunday, July 23, 2006

Turkey wrangling

Yesterday while Nancy and I were out for a walk around 2pm we heard a clucking in the woods next to the road. At first, we thought that maybe we spotted a quail. But once we got a better look we could see that it was a baby turkey and it was very very small.

Then we spotted mama Wild Turkey who was the one doing the clucking. Mama and babies were just inside the woods at the intersection of two roads. I told Nancy to go on up the other road and I would go into the woods and try to herd the mama and babies in her direction so she could get a good look at them all.

Well, mama turkey herded nicely right across the road in front of Nancy but the babies disappeared. They had scattered and then sat tight in the undergrowth. I slowly walked through the brush and spotted one or two of the little guys. But once mama realized that I wasn’t following her and that I was looking for the kids, she turned around and started clucking in earnest to round up the family. One by one the babies scooted through the brush and caught up with mama who by then was only about 30 feet from me clucking softly but steadily and showing no fear.

If I would have had my camera I would have been able to get some good shots because the turkeys were all very close to me. Instead, I found this photo on Google Images so you could get an idea of what we saw.

Today in the car, about a mile away we saw another mama turkey and some babies….very small, just like the first bunch. Then when we continued driving up the road to the area near our house where we saw the first turkey, there she was again at the side of the road with her brood. This seems to be hatching time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure mama turkey was laughing as much as we are when she got 30 feet from you and saw a fearless man clucking softly and steadily. Oh....I bet she was the one clucking, not you. Either way, we'd love it if you could get some good pictures of your new friends.

Scott and Justin

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading about your exploits.Sandy and I wish we were there, you turkeys.Hope to see you soon. Jack

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... a couple of turkeys saw a couple of turkeys!

Just kidding!

Love,

Brooke and Jen

Anonymous said...

Tinker, (yes my nick name for Don, he can tell the story :-) where is the mountian bike photo's
Michael L, Coppell, Texas